... Powder and shot
With the construction of Vestvolden in 1890, soldiers really came to Avedøre. They marched into Avedøre in the morning and returned to Ejby-camp at night.
The long daily march was in the end unsustainable, and in August 1896 the army set the first military camp, Camp Paradise.
It was a camp that was only to be used for summer, but even in summer it can rain quite a lot, so the improvised camp was frequently thick with mud. Camp Paradise lay between the western part of Avedoere Stationsby and the Vestvolden.
Vestvolden that was designed to protect Copenhagen against a military enemy, was the greatest Danish engineering. Up to 20% of the state budget went for some years to the project!
Still, it was found that the defense system was obsolete within ten years after it was finished.
A new army law formed in 1909 was based on the construction of Avedørelejren. The law required a large military forces on Zealand. It should be trained in four new training camps, and one of these camps were Avedørelejren.
The camp was built in the years 1911 to 1913, and during the construction was delayed by a number of stoppages.
Architect Helge Møller had designed an installation that was inspired by the Citadel in Copenhagen. A strive symmetrical structure around the central space. In a little national romantic style blend he created a series of buildings that still ooze quality from the waterpark and forge to the officers mess and the infirmary.
The camp was built to accommodate a battalion of four companies, each with 112 privates and their officers.
From World War I
During the first World War, when Copenhagen's fortifications were staffed by 64,000 men, Avedørelejren and Camp Paradise where filled to capacity.
During this time the camp was equipped with electric lights. It was also during these years, Avedøre camp training room was transformed into Avedoere Airfield, which still exists.
Camp Paradise was in existence until the 1930s and was used as homeless housing, summer camp for children and tray for the artillery.
In the early 1920s Avedørelejren surpassed from the fortress artillery to field artillery, and here Avedørelejren was one of the first among the artillery units that were motorized. Subsequently Avedøre Department merged with the 1st Artillery Regiment.
From World War II
On 9 April 1940 at 06:40 the artillery regiment was informed that "the Government's order prohibits resistance against the German troops." When the message reached Avedøre, it was too late. They had opened fire on a German plane, and the fire had been answered . Later in April, the camp was evacuated and the Germans moved in.
After the liberation the artillery took over the camp again, and in the 1950s the camp was home to the first Danish missile forces.
In the early 1960s, it was decided to abandon the camp, but it took another thirty years before it the plans where implemented. In the meantime Avedørelejren was setting for military training, military driving school and mechanic training.
When the army moved out, it left a full set of buildings, which tells the story of defense policy for more than a century.
In the spring of 1999 Hvidovre Kommune bought Avedørelejren - and thus began a new chapter in the history of the camp ...